I remember my friend asking me on Monday afternoon if I
wanted to go to “some LIS extra credit lecture” with her later that night. I
figured I should go in order to help my grades, considering half of what
college kids do is complain about how hard their classes are. What I didn’t
know when I accepted the invitation was that it would significantly impact my
life and make me reconsider how I view my college years here at UW-Madison.
Malala
Yousafzai is a 17 year old girl, who’s story has changed the way the world
thinks about women’s’ education and human rights. Shiza Shahid is an activist
who attended Stamford University after receiving a full-scholarship allowing
her to leave home where the Taliban was taking over. Shahid stood by Malala and
helped spread awareness about educating women. They essentially were partners
in that they believed in the same ideals and values. News of Malala getting
shot in the head on a bus, just for wanting to attend school, hit Shahid really
hard. It was in this moment that Shahid knew what she wanted to do with her
life. She stood by Malala during this tragic time and started new campaigns in
order to share Malala’s story. It truly
is so sad that it took such a tragedy in order for the world to act on the
importance of women’s educational rights but Malala is proud to see the world
finally start taking action.
While in
the hospital, Shahid stood by Malala and asked if she needed anything. Malala’s
answer, “I’m fine, help the other girls” made me realize how much of my life I
take for granted. I complain about how much work I have every day, yet this
girl almost lost her life just so that she could receive an education. This
response shows the strength that Malala has and inspires me to fight for what I
believe in.
I have
volunteered at homeless shelters, soup kitchens, and children’s after school
care programs but nothing that I have ever done, compares to what Shahid and
Malala have done together. They have taught me that change takes time; failure
is an opportunity to learn, and to never give up. I am so happy that I attended
this once in a lifetime opportunity and promise to always fight for what I
believe in, because even just one person, can make a huge difference.
No comments:
Post a Comment