Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!

Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!
Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Thanksgiving Homework


When I first read the homework over Thanksgiving break, it was clear that I was going to ask my dad about the most important information technology he once used at his job. This assignment was particularly interesting because I have always known that my father is technologically inept, so I was curious to hear what he once used. From teaching my dad how to use his phone to a computer, I was surprised to hear that the only use of technology he possessed at work was a pager. When I was younger, I vividly remember him coming home from work everyday and calling back all of his customers on a landline home phone. Owning his own picture framing shop, it never became apparent that he needed the most updated technology although looking back; it probably would have made things more efficient. Additionally, never being exposed to technology growing up created a strong digital divide between his understandings, which attributes to today. According to him, he first learned how to use a pager from the directions on the package because there were only a couple of buttons, so it wasn’t too difficult. This technology didn’t really affect his working conditions because it wasn’t necessarily a distraction, but rather a necessity to communicate with customers. A pager as we know it is strictly a middle man as a means to communicate back then, which has ultimately been replaced by the rapid growth of cell phones. There wasn’t much enjoyment from a pager, but ever since he transferred over to using a phone, I definitely notice the distraction. Although he has the flexibility to use his phone when desired, I would concur that it makes his job more enjoyable because he is able to take breaks by texting friends throughout the work day.  

No comments: