Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!

Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!
Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!

Saturday, November 8, 2014

Manpower Inc

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania:

  • 16 available jobs
  • Skills: MS office, administrative knowledge/experience, verbal/written communication, organizational skills, work well with others
  • Assistant jobs, clerk jobs, helper jobs
  • Mostly temporary or short term contracts
 - Lower level jobs for the most part but white collared jobs with a few higher level opportunities

Madison, Wisconsin:
  • 13 available jobs
  • Skills: verbal/communication skills, attention to detail, multi tasking, independence 
  • Mostly temporary or short term contracts but some permanent jobs thrown in there
  • Lots of labor jobs (warehouse worker, truck driver, assembly line worker)
  • low wages
  - Lower level jobs in the blue collar sector

Palo Alto, California:
  • 10 available jobs
  • Skills: management, channel planning, product evaluations, working with groups, software, experienced analytical work, advertising experience,IT experience
  • High end, highly skilled jobs relating to the tech industry
  • Lots of “manager” “director” “executive”
  • Contract jobs
- High end white collared jobs, specifically related to the technology industry


After reviewing the job opportunities in Madison, Philadelphia, and Palo Alto, I do not feel that any of these openings would suit me in the future. First off, Palo Alto’s job postings were most attractive to me because it offered the highest salary and job security, but I am not interested in the technology field and do not possess the skills needed to work in that industry. I was surprised that Philadelphia did not have many jobs I find interesting or engaging because most of the jobs posted were positions to be a clerk or assistant. When I am working, I want to be making a name for myself, not be tied down to someone else and their accomplishments. Lastly, I was not very surprised at the job postings I found from Madison. The Madison lifestyle is completely different from my hometown of Philadelphia and the available jobs reflect that. The available jobs consisted of low paying, blue collar work that includes truck driving and working on an assembly line, which I am not accustomed to and am not interested in. Because this is such a small sample size of jobs, I am not worried that I will be able to find a job that I like after I graduate, back in Philadelphia. 

1 comment:

Michael B said...

Scott,

I really liked how you mentioned your career aspirations and how they differ from what is offered from this site. It is great to see another perspective stating that this site isn't for everyone.