Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!
Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!
Monday, November 3, 2014
Weekend Without Technology
This past weekend, not using technology was easier than it normally would be because I ended up going back to my hometown for the weekend. My initial feelings about the assignment was that there was no way I was going to be able to not use my phone for the whole weekend, and I would end up caving and just using it anyways. However, I found that I lasted until Sunday morning with the assignment because everyone that I had to talk to from home was my family that did not need to communicate through technology. The media that I missed the most was definitely texting and phone calls to different friends, especially friends that go to different colleges and had not known about my non-media use assignment for over the weekend. I found that instead of texting my friends, I spent more time connecting with my family members back home and it just allowed to catch up with all of my friends once I got back to campus on Sunday. I found that I was not able to dismiss all media such as emails through school use for group projects and club meetings. I also communicated with friends through Snapchat, but I do not know if that counted as a social networking source. At the end of the assignment I found that I am very connected to my phone, I initially found myself wanting to look and check my messages and Facebook multiple times throughout the day. However, I found that after the first couple of hours, I forgot about this media and just spent time with high school friends and family from home. At the end of this assignment I feel as though social networking communication tools such as texting, Facebook, and telephone calls are necessary for college students today to connect with both friends at UW-Madison and with friends at different colleges. Overall, I think that this assignment did not really change my view on my media use and that I will still use these networking tools to communicate with others.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Jess,
It's interesting that you had to do this assignment while at home for the weekend. If I were you, I would probably be itching to check up on my friends in Madison during Halloweekend! Good job!
Post a Comment