Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!

Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!
Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!

Sunday, November 2, 2014

Weekend Isolation Homework

Initially, before starting this weekend assignment, I thought it was going to be impossible. In my attempt to follow the rules, it proved to be just as difficult as I thought. Over the weekend I went to visit friends at a different college, therefore there were some aspects of this assignment that were not possible to forgo. Seeing as I was traveling via car, the only option for communication with the friends I was visiting was my cell phone. Furthermore, I was not staying in the same house as all of my friends, so I had to use my cell phone again to reach out to them and coordinate times to meet. Although, aside from my cell phone I did not have an exorbitant amount of trouble refraining from other forms of social media (I primarily just use Facebook and Instagram). I was very busy catching up with all of my friends I was visiting and spending time with them that I was rarely tempted to check either of the two. However, the time when I found it the most tempting was on the car ride back to Madison this Sunday afternoon when I had nothing else to do--that's when I gave in. What I missed most about the various media sites I avoided was the pictures everyone was posting of their Halloween weekend. When scrolling through my Facebook news feed I found myself ignoring basically all the posts that weren't photo uploads. This assignment further opened my eyes to how subconsciously dependent I am, along with the rest of my friends, on our various social media and networking apps, sites, etc. At this day in age it is nearly impossible to avoid all forms of it. Overall, I found abstaining from my apps such as Facebook and Instagram to be much less difficult and somewhat refreshing. However, when I looked through them both for the first time, I felt overwhelmed from everything I had missed and had to catch up on due to my absence of checking. On the other and, the avoiding communication via cell phone such as texting and calling was impossible for me to do.

No comments: