Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!

Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!
Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!

Sunday, November 2, 2014

No Technology

Initially when given this assignment for the weekend, I thought that there would be absolutely no chance that I could go an entire weekend without looking at any social media outlets or even using my phone. Since our lives today are so consumed by technology, I felt as if everything I did during the course of the day somehow relates back to my phone or computer. As Friday night approached, I was preparing myself for the challenge. Initially, the challenge was not much of a challenge at all. Because I live with most of my friends, the need for a phone did not was nonexistent. All I had to do to communicate was walk out of my room into whoever's room I needed to speak to and would communicate face-to-face, just like the old days. However, Saturday was when the challenge really pushed my limits. On all other weekends, I feel as if this assignment could be performed, but because of Halloween, going onto social media sites such as Facebook or Instagram was almost impossible to ignore. Each time I had the sensation to look at pictures, I knew I had to finish this challenge. However, instinctually, Saturday night is when I caved in and looked at my Instagram. From that point on, I got stuck in a downward spiral. I ended up spending a decent amount of time catching up on the missed day of Instagram and checked out a lot of pictures on Facebook to see what my friends from other schools were up to and recap on the past night here at UW. Out of all of the social media outlets, I missed Instagram the most. Instagram is a quick source of entertainment that only takes up a minute or two looking at before going back into whatever I am doing at the time. To pass my time without using my phone or computer, I went out Friday night and brought a few friends to the serf to play pickup basketball. By the end of the weekend (or by Saturday night in my case), I found it amazing how much today's generation is addicted to media and technology. When I use media and technology, it feels instinctual, however when I could not use it, I had to make a difficult conscious effort not to. Although people may get too sucked into using their phones and computers at times, I strongly believe that technology is needed more and more each day, and with new technologies to come our society as a whole will benefit.

1 comment:

Michael B said...

Wow, great point on how instinctual the use of social media has become. I like how you mentioned that Instagram is so great because we can just look for a minute or two, while we are waiting, and we don't even think about it. This is definitely what made this activity so hard.