I was a miserable failure at this and gave up almost right away. This makes sense, as I am known for constantly having my nose in my phone texting. The main reason I text so much is because of my girlfriend. We sort of just talk throughout the entire day over text when we aren't together or are going to classes, and not being able to use my phone to communicate with her was definitely the most difficult part. I didn't carry my phone on me but I still kept feeling the phantom vibrations of my phone in my pocket. It's amazing how integrated these devices are into our lives and you really cant tell until you take them away.
A couple weeks ago my house was robbed and the thief got away with my cell phone and laptop, among other things. I was without a phone for about two days and I communicated entirely through Facebook on a rental laptop I got from the school and other friends phones. This sort of mandatory exercise was extremely unsettling. The feeling of not having my phone was way more stressful than it should have been. I even found it difficult to keep track of the time throughout the day, as I have grown up without ever wearing a watch.
Overall it is quite disconcerting how difficult it is for us to go without our electronic devices for even one weekend. This attachment is no accident I am sure, but rather a business strategy executed to perfection. Whether this attachment will amount to a good thing or a bad thing for our generation is yet to be determined, but what does seem to be already decided is that we are hooked whether we like it or not.
1 comment:
Glad to see someone else struggled as much as me.
Post a Comment