Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!

Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!
Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!

Sunday, November 2, 2014

Weekend Activity

This was a very interesting assignment.  To be honest, I did not think I would be able to do certain aspects of this assignment, but I really enjoyed being away from social media and other technologies.  Not going on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or any other social media application at first made me feel out of the loop, but that feeling created an awesome feeling and my actions during the day changed as well.  When I saw people on the streets or in person, I was more inclined to go up and talk to them to know what they were doing later and make plans because I would not be able to message them or see what they were doing by their status.  It created a more social dynamic, but not an online social dynamic, and actual one-to-one, in person dynamic!  There were a couple times that I broke down and had to make some urgent texts, but I did stay strong and did not use my computer or make any cell-phone calls.  I'd say the hardest part for me was not texting because without even realizing it, texting is like breathing or talking for our generation.  It is just something we do to communicate without even realizing the very nature of what we are doing.  In order to prevent myself from using my phone, I kept it in my room most of the weekend.  There would be parts of the day and night where I would either not feel my phone in my pocket and get nervous or actually feel a vibrate that wasn't there.  It was extremely weird.  Overall, I enjoyed the activity because that sense of isolation is pretty refreshing, but I do not think I could live all the time like that.

No comments: