Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!

Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!
Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Robots Aris

I chose the Robots game solely because I saw that a man named John Martin designed it and last year I had a professor with the same name.  I was hoping that he would be the same person that designed it since he had an interesting class, therefore making an interesting game.  My logic was quickly proved to be very wrong.


I did this activity by myself, and to put it in a nice way I did not find it entertaining at all.  The first major problem was that I think I should’ve just chosen a game with an obvious goal like the campus tour.  Just by the title that game seems like you just walk around campus and tour different places.  I’m not sure if it was me struggling to follow directions or if the game was set up poorly, but I really struggled to understand what I was supposed to do.  The first thing it told me to do was go to the top of Bascom, which I did.  Once I got there, nothing happened.  I don’t know if my GPS wasn’t working properly on my phone but nothing happened for a little bit.  Once it did recognize my position, it asked me weird questions about helping this imaginary robot.  Some of these questions were “why help you,” “how do we start,” “will I be eaten,” and “so where are they?”  This led me to library mall next where I went and absolutely nothing happened, so with the wind chill being right around zero, I decided to throw in the towel and give up on the game that I could not figure out. 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Alex,
Me and kiki found this same frustration when we did the assignment together! While we got more of a trivial basis clues that talked about the historical knowledge of campus, we found that the game was very frustrating especially with the cold of the campus and technology not responding the way we believed it would. Great Post! I wonder if the objective of your game was similar to ours!
Jess Bossmann

Unknown said...

Sounds like a terrible experience, I probably would have given up earlier than you. Based on other posts I've been reading, it seems that the Henry Mall game was the only easy game to understand with a clear objective. I'm interested in seeing if anyone was able to figure out the main objectives of the other games.

Sammy V said...

Alex,
Nice post! Mary and I tried to play this game and we were extremely confused as well. We didn't know what was supposed to happen, so we tried another game, and this one had better instructions. Even with our game though, we were still confused about the objective of the game, like you were.