Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!

Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!
Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!

Monday, November 10, 2014

Week 3 post makeup

This week I researched the word website to find the earliest references. The three newspapers mentioned were not the firsts to mention the word, and proquest apparently found no articles from any of them including the word website. The first three sources I found to use the word were the San Diego Daily, Village Times (NY), and Sun News (SC). These all occurred in late 1995 and January 1996. The term seems to first be used much in the same way it is used today. The term is just a noun and it doesn't seem that much has changed in the way we describe the noun. The biggest difference I have noticed, however, is that website at first was not abbreviated to site very often at first, where as now it is constantly. People are more inclined to say what site are you on than what website are you on.

When I looked through the scholarly articles the dates barely changed. They were still late 1995. One interesting thing I noticed in one of these articles that wasn't my word was electronic commerce, now almost always shortened to e-commerce. Website was, however, used the same as it is today. The scholarly and newspaper articles do not seem to differ in their use of the word. I noticed the same example with abbreviations in the scholarly articles as well. I think overall website is a relatively static word, one thats original full meaning is relatively set and constant, but can still be changed in lots of ways, (ie abbreviations).

No comments: