Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!
Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!
Sunday, November 2, 2014
Weekend Activity: Minimal Technology
I thought that I would absolutely hate doing this activity, especially given that it was Halloween weekend, but after completing it, I found that the opposite was true. I enjoyed having minimal contact with the outside world for a weekend, it was very peaceful. I am also super fortunate in that I live in a sorority house with 55 girls, so making plans and meeting spots was so easy because I would just walk downstairs and always find one of my best friends. On Friday night, I stayed in with my 3 good friends and just watched a movie in our house so there was absolutely no need for a cell phone. I found that today, Sunday, was the hardest actually because I needed to contact people about homework, projects, and exams that didn't live in my house so at one point I actually knocked on my friend's door in order to speak with her. WOAH! Who knew we could still do that?! The only thing I really wanted to do all weekend was go on Facebook in order to see what all my other friends were dressing up as for Halloween but that just made today all the more fun. When I turned my phone on today, I had 5 missed calls from my mom asking if I was okay because I hadn't answered her all weekend. I laughed and called her immediately to tell her about our assignment. She loved it! She said "You could use a technology cleanse every once in a while!" The only time I broke the face-to-face communication was when I needed to email Tammy letting her know that I submitted an assignment. I am super proud for controlling myself this weekend.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Sam,
I found this activity to be refreshing as well especially because I live with most of my friends, similar to your sorority. I was rather enjoyable to disconnect for a brief period of time and realize how much we truly rely on technology. I really enjoyed your blog post and felt rather similarly on completing this exercise.
I had the same experience as you Sam. Living in DG, it was easy to communicate with my "sisters" but very difficult to communicate with people outside of my sorority. I feel like we had a very similar experience.
Post a Comment