Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!

Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!
Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Weekend without Technology


Refraining from digital technology this weekend was a very interesting experience for me. I am well-known for being extremely active on social media and my friends always make fun of me for constantly giggling at my phone at texts, tweets, etc. Actually, my roommates noted that I talked a lot more over the weekend without having my nose in my phone!
Friday night was pretty easy for me to not use technology. When the activity started at 5, I went Halloween shopping with a few friends and was preoccupied throughout the trip. Then I came home and got my house ready for a party we were having. This was easy until I wanted to invite people over! Without my phone, I couldn’t text people to see what they were doing, I had to simply rely on my roommates to get the word out and on my other friends to remember that I had mentioned the party earlier in the week.
Saturday was much harder, as I spent the beginning of the day in the library studying. It made me much more efficient, but stressed me out that I didn’t have technology for study breaks and procrastination. I did have to cheat in order to post on Facebook for my internship! On Saturday night, I got separated from my friends, so I finally caved and turned my phone on. The next day my phone was dead for a while, but I charged it at around two to text my mom.
So, although I cheated a bit and caved earlier than I had hoped, I was pretty happy with my self-control from Friday to Saturday. My friends had a running bet of how long I would last, and I was happy to prove them wrong! (They bet I would last under five hours…) I realized that it is not too bad to be disconnected for certain amounts of time, and probably even good for me to practice in the long run.

No comments: