Over the Thanksgiving break, I spoke with my mother about this assignment.
When I asked her to describe the most important information technology she uses
in her job, she said that it was the computer. As an editor for NBC Nightly
News, she was professionally trained. There were different courses and instructions
that she had to partake in. It wasn’t difficult to master the actual computer,
but the software took a lot of training. There are many continual updates of
specific software that requires additional training with each upgrade. For
example, she uses an Avid program for news editing. In regarding to technology
affecting her working conditions, it made her extremely more productive. Her
job would not be possible without a computer. The job is more enjoyable for her
because it gave her faster and easier ways of delivering the end product for
the individual story in the evening broadcast. My mother’s dependency on a
computer for her work is very relatable to what we have learned during this
course. It is amazing that she would not be able to do her job without the
computer. In some cases, there are slower ways of performing task that don’t involve
a specific information technology, but in her case, she simply cannot perform
her job without a computer. In order to edit a story so it can be showed for
the evening news, she must use editing software and create a “piece.” Everything
is automated, and she must stay up-to-date with these new technological
advancements. Before doing this assignment, I actually did think about my
mother and her job in relation to this class. I see many correlations between
automation and the dependency on technology with this course.
1 comment:
Kiki,
Great blog post! I find it interesting that your mother is so dependent on technology because she most likely didn't grow up with it. The changing times have created a culture that is reliant on technology, while distracting us from traditional interactions. It is rather surprising because I grew up in a household that didn't find a need to use modern technologies.
Post a Comment