Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!

Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!
Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!

Monday, November 10, 2014

Manpower Weekend Homework

Madison, WI
-15 total jobs
-all job position types were contract except 2 permanent and 1 temporary
-many jobs required manual labor and not high skill
-jobs were frequently service-based or in manufacturing & production
-none were jobs that seemed appealing to me necessarily

Minneapolis, MN
-69 total jobs
-a better mix of position types, but many were contract followed by permanent and then temporary positions
-many jobs required working in warehouses, operating machinery and packaging. None necessarily required high skill
-difficult to pinpoint a particular industry, there was a wide variety (most common may have been logistics distribution & supply chain and manufacturing and production)
-none were jobs that seemed appealing to me

Chicago, IL
-98 total jobs
-a heavy concentration of contract position types, a couple permanent, and very few temporary
-many jobs encompassed entering data, installing things, and clerical work
-common industries were sales and secretarial
-no jobs seemed extremely appealing

After researching these three locations, I learned that they did not drastically differentiate from one another. Madison seemed to be the most uniform throughout, seeing as it had nearly all contract positions in the manufacturing and production industry. Minneapolis may have been the most mixed in terms of opportunities. There was not one single dominating industry in the listings, rather, there was a fairly well-mixed range of options. It made sense that Chicago had many sales listings, seeing as it is a large city home to many business headquarters. None of these jobs seemed particularly high skilled. Many of them seemed as though they were undesirable jobs for someone looking to advance and put many years of college/graduate school to use. Personally, I would not look to pursue any of these jobs myself.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree that the quality of jobs was not very high and that this website would not be a tool I would want to have to use.

Sleo said...

Carly,
I agree with the observations that you found during your search on Manpower. I originally was interested to see what jobs were around in this area and back home, but I also found that many of the jobs available on the site were either unskilled or undesirable. Looks like both of us will have to find a new outlet to find potential jobs in the future.