The term that I chose relating to the modern informational
society is mobile digital media players, also known as portable MP3 players.
The earliest article I found using the term MP3 player is from 1999 in The New York Time, titled “Creative Labs
Introduces Redesigned MP3 Player.” This humorous article written by Michel
Marriott, touches upon the creation of a new Mp3 player that puts all other
mobile media devices to shame. Besides playing the MP3 audio format, the Nomad
II is programmable meaning it can download instructions that would permit one
to write notes on the device. Designers say that with this feature it is
basically “future proof” and will continue to change as the industry continues
to evolve. For a whopping price of $400, it is clear that future products, such
as the IPod, would outshine this device. Once perceived as “future proof” the
nomad was later discontinued in 2004 due to the competitiveness of the MP3
market. The term Mp3 player was then used in scholarly article databases the
same year as the New York Times
article via ProQuest. In the article “The new MP3 players” critiques are
contemplating buying the earliest MP3 devices after witnessing their rapid
emergence onto the scene. The first line begins with “They look good, but will
you respect them a year from now?” From the debut of the first MP3 devices,
competitors have blossomed onto the scene creating devices that will rival one
each other, such as the Nomad and Audiovox. Due to the drastically changing
landscape and newly innovative devices, critiques strongly recommend holding
off on the prototypes in hope that a cutting-edge device will emerge. Little
did the earliest manufacturers of MP3 players know that they would all face their
supreme competitor with Apple’s introduction of the IPod. Although the term MP3
player is still commonly understood today, it strongly correlates with the IPod
putting most competitors out of competition. The IPod today has functions that weren’t
even imaginable when compared to the earliest portable MP3 players and as the
modern information society progresses, so to MP3 players.
1 comment:
Michael,
I really enjoyed reading your post on MP3 players. It amazes me how the idea of an MP3 player was thought to be "future proof" only a 15 years ago and today there are endless possibilities for what people can do with MP3s. Additionally, I find it interesting that critiques strayed away from MP3 players because they thought that technology was moving too fast to create new products before new technology was developed, making a once promising product out of date before it was even created. Today, the idea of rapid technology is the incentive to create new forms of MP3 players in order to be the first within the MP3 sector to create a unique product. I remember when I had a MP3 player as a kid and how quickly I replaced it with an iPod. Reading your post gave me insight on a topic that I take for granted, even though the extensions of MP3s that we have now were no where to be thought of a short time ago.
Post a Comment