Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!

Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!
Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Magic in the Air

For our homework assignment this weekend, I watched Magic in the Air. It was produced in 1941 and discussed the importance of television and how it works. It also discussed how advanced the television had become and how they were striving for perfection. This film is useful because it shows how television works and how we can see something happening miles and miles away in the comfort of our living room. It gives a great background on how we receive our information.

The film seems similar to an advertisement, but it is very informational. It starts off by showing someone not being able to get tickets to a football game and being bummed, and then introduces someone else who has a "magical device", the television, and can watch the game without being there. It then describes exactly how television is produced and transmitted to "thousands of viewers" around the country. I thought it was interesting that it was amazing and only reached thousands back then, but now it reaches millions of people and is a part of daily life. It compared the quality in 1941 to the quality of the first television production ever and there was a huge difference. It is amazing how far we have come since then.

I thought it was very informative and interesting how television works. I honestly never knew and do think it is pretty magical. I will forever be blown away by technology and how it works and how people are able to invent theses extremely complex devices. I think it is important and interesting to know how a television works because it is something we use everyday to get information. Television has also become much more advanced with thousands of channels, and smart TV's that connect to other applications that are view-able on a television making it even more informational and magical than it was 70 years ago.
link: https://archive.org/details/Magicint1941

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post! I thought the same thing after reading the video clip, and I too am always blown away with technology and its advancements. It's amazing to think about what life was like without a television. Especially, the generation in which people have experienced life without a television and life with a television. It truly is "magic in the air." One thing that I find particularly interesting is that television has its phase of being so widely used, but now it is dying down. People are choosing to watch shows on their computer. Personally, I have not watched TV in months.

Alex C. said...

I think this was an awesome video! Until watching this, I had no idea what the science is behind how a TV works and now I think it's crazy how it's done. If I were to guess, I would've previously thought TV images are just a steady stream but when I just found out it is a bunch of pictures together I was shocked. I thought it was pretty interesting how with the tone the narrator used, he made me feel that he was saying the TV was turning into a necessity. I would be interested in how much (if any) broadcasting TV has changed since HDTVs came about.