Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!
Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!
Monday, September 22, 2014
Broadcast Radio
The term I decided to choose for the modern
information society is broadcast radio. In
The New York Times, I was able to
find an article from July 29, 1919 about how the secretary of the Navy wanted
the government to own and run a monopoly on the costal radio broadcast stations
that are Transocean. It stated that it’s
important for the government to be in charge of the radio, but didn’t go into
extreme detail on the reasons why. The
earliest article I was able to find in The
Chicago Tribune was from March 16, 1924.
This article didn’t actually have anything to do with Chicago receiving
broadcast radio, and instead it was about New York receiving a brand new 1,000-watt
radio broadcasting plant, which was a great feat at the time. To put a 1,000-watt radio station in
perspective, now radio stations can have over 10,000-watt stations. Searching through The Los Angeles Times, I was able to find an article from April 23,
1922. The article was about how a pastor
from Trinity Methodist Church was going to air on the radio about how his faith
is his cure and how communicating over broadcast radio was one of the most
important changes to how people reached a mass audience during this time. After looking up articles on ProQuest,
Project Muse, and JStor, the biggest change that I have found from early
broadcast radio and today’s broadcast radio is caused by an external variable. The television dramatically changed broadcast
radio due to it being a visual medium of communication. Also, broadcast radio
has expanded from a its old way of transmission into today’s digital radio,
meaning you can use the Internet or different types of digital radio to access
it instead of only receiving it through radio waves.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I think that Alex did a great job giving us a brief overview of the first mentioning of broadcast radio. It's interesting to hear that the government initially wanted to utilize radio and have complete control over it. I also thought it was great how Alex compared the power of a seemingly large radio broadcasting plant back in the early nineteen hundreds to a typical broadcasting plant's wattage nowadays--there is a major difference. I thought it was good to mention how radio today is frequently digital radio, listened through laptops, cell phones, and other advanced technology. The only thing I would have been curious to know more about is the difference in how much more area radio covers now than it did back then.
Post a Comment