Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!

Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!
Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!

Sunday, September 21, 2014

iPhone


The term that I chose relating to the modern informational society is the iPhone. The first article I found using the term iPhone is from August 19, 2002 in the New York Times. The title of this article made me laugh: Apple's Chief in the Risky Land of the Handhelds. When rumors of Apple introducing a phone began to spread, the population's general consensus was that Apple was being “risky.” Little did they know the iPhone would take over the retail industry in years to come.  Mr. Jobs had already been credited with the failure of other Apple products, so I guess the assumption that this one would also fail wasn’t hard to come by.  The term iPhone was then used in scholarly article databases just a day later on August 20, 2002. The iPhone was used in these articles as being a new wireless device with an Apple Mac operating system. Again, the articles talk about the previous failure of Apple called the Newton. Apparently this was a handheld device that flopped 7 years prior to the introduction of the iPhone. Today, the term “iPhone” is almost synonymous for the term cellphone. Although the iPhone has been updated and recreated several times since its rumored launch in 2002, its purpose remains the same. The only real difference is now we know Apple’s “risk” in releasing the iPhone, really paid off.

1 comment:

Kyle Nemeroff said...

Great blog post Sam! I thought it was very interesting that you were able to find two articles that were so close in date to each other. I actually did not know that people were very skeptical about the iPhone. I guess all that skepticism is gone now. It is crazy how they basically have a monopoly on the cell phone industry. I really enjoyed reading your blog post.