Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!

Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!
Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Choosing a book Jeremy W

To find my book, I first just searched the Information Society on Amazon. This yielded a couple interesting results, a couple of which, however, had already been taken. I then searched Internet Culture and came up with more focused results on the internet. A common theme seemed to be the way in which the internet affects our brains and cultures, and I saw many familiar concepts that have or will be covered in class. The first book I found as a possibility was, "The Culture of Connectivity: A Critical History of Social Media." This book seemed interesting and also led me to "Digital Disconnect: How Capitalism is Turning the Internet Against Democracy." I then finally found my third book the same way, "Dollarocracy: How the Money and Media Election Complex is Destroying America." This book was an interesting third option to throw into the mix, as it involves a political aspect that both interests me and has been largely not included in the class.

The Culture of Connectivity: A Critical History of Social Media

Amazon
240 Pages
3.5/5 (8 Reviews)

WorldCat
560 Libraries

GoogleBooks
0 Reviews

LibraryThing
14 Members
0 Reviews
683,257 Popularity

Digital Disconnect: How Capitalism is Turning the Internet Against Democracy

Amazon
320 Pages
4.4/5 (37 Reviews)

WorldCat
617 Libraries

GoogleBooks
2 Reviews
3/5 Stars

LibraryThing
32 Members
1 Review
3/5 Stars
347,362 Popularity

Dollarocracy: How the Money and Media Election Complex is Destroying America

Amazon
368 Pages
4.2/5 (38 Reviews)

WorldCat
479 Libraries

GoogleBooks
0 Reviews

LibraryThing
19 Members
0 Reviews
537,190 Popularity

I chose the book "Digital Disconnect: How Capitalism is Turning the Internet Against Democracy" to read. This book seems the most interesting to me and there are lots of reviews of it on ProQuest, including the one cited below. I also think 320 pages will be not too hard to fully skim and read, while still providing plenty of meat to write about.
Roberts, Dylan. "Digital Disconnect: How Capitalism is Turning the Internet Against Democracy." Canadian Dimension May 2013: 46. ProQuest. Web. 14 Oct. 2014 .

No comments: