Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!

Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!
Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!

Monday, October 27, 2014

Self-Stalking

After doing all of the searches on myself, I was pleasantly surprised to find that there isn't that much out there on the Internet about me. This is probably due to the fact that I didn't have any accounts on social media until I was a senior in high school. Now, I only have a Facebook and Pinterest account. My Facebook is quite private so an outsider can only see my profile picture and cover photo, and a little information about me. When searching my phone number on the white pages, it showed where I live and you could purchase a full report, which is a little strange. Information about my town is widely available, but not specifically directed to me. I was surprised that when I searched my name on Facebook while not logged in, my profile didn't even come up. It turns out a lot of people have my name, with a space in Van Dyke, and without a space VanDyke. There are also other Samantha VanDyke's and Sammy VanDyke's. When Googling my name, it wasn't my Facebook that came up, but some of these other people with my name. The only thing directly related to me was my Pinterest account and some of the things I had pinned were shown in the images. This I am not too concerned about because you cannot obtain much personal information via Pinterest. Overall I was very pleased to know that it is not easy to find information about me on the Internet. This was an interesting assignment and a great way to see how much information is really out there about you and how easily it is to find.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sammy,

I felt very similarly and was pleased to find that there was little information floating around the internet. I was surprised that you were unable to find your name on most social networking sites, even though you created them during your senior year of high school. Overall, great blog post and was glad to hear that most of your information is concealed.

ConnorLIS201 said...

You basically found the same stuff that I did about myself. It's nice to see that Facebook's privacy settings actually work.