Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!

Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!
Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!

Monday, October 13, 2014

Social Media Explained: Untangling the World's Most Misunderstood Business Trend

When researching potential books that I will read and review, I found three books that interested me: Intertwingled: Information Changes Everything, Social Media Explained: Untangling the World’s Most Misunderstood Business Trend, and The Word Exchange: A Novel. The following is what I found when searching through Amazon, WorldCat, Google Books, and Library Thing.

Intertwingled: Information Changes Everything by Peter Morville

Amazon: 4.0 out of 5.0 stars
Reviews: People either loved it or hated it. They think that the book has either scattered thoughts and was confusing or a book that attacks complex ideas and very relevant.

WorldCat: 7 libraries have this book but none in the area

Google Books: No results

Library Thing: No reviews
               Popularity: 3,689,591


Social Media Explained: Untangling the World’s Most Misunderstood Business Trend by Mark W. Schaefer

Amazon: 4.6 out of 5.0 stars
Reviews: insightful, talks about how things are connected and   organization, talks about systems of thinking coming together

WorldCat: 14 libraries have this book but none in the area

Google Books: 4 out of 5 stars
(1) Review: Good for business owners thinking about social media and for   people who haven’t kept up with the social media progression

Library Thing: No reviews
  Popularity: 2,001,085


The Word Exchange by Alena Graedon

Amazon: 3.9 out of 5.0 stars

WorldCat: 934 libraries have this book and libraries in the area have it

Google Books: (10) Reviews: beginning of the book is a lot better than the end of it, explores societies uncomfortable reality of social lives, not very deep

Library Thing: 3.31 out of 5.0 stars
36 reviews
Popularity: 71,264

After searching for a book to read and review, I have decided to choose Social Media Explained: Untangling the World’s Most Misunderstood Business Trend. I picked this book because the topic interested me the most and seems the most relevant to what I may be doing in my future. Although this book did not turn up when searching through ProQuest or Project Muse, I am not turned of from reading this book. The outstanding reviews from Amazon and my interest in the description and title gives me enough of a reason to proceed with this book. 


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Scott,

I think you chose a great book that is extremely interesting. I like that the book you chose directly correlates to what you want to do later in life. I think it is important to learn about things that hold high levels of interest to you, because that will ultimately lead to you being more attentive when reading. Let me know your overall opinions on the read in the future, I am quite interested!