I cannot believe how much information about myself is out there. By just typing my name in on Google I was able to tell that I graduated from Cold Spring Harbor High School in 2013, in Cold Spring Harbor, NY and that I am a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma at the University of Wisconsin- Madison. My twitter page is completely public and is the first hit on Google when "Samantha Lastig" is typed in. I need to go and change that immediately! You can see two pictures of me which I am not comfortable at all with, and am now really nervous. A firm would be able to see that the town that I come from is 91% white, and both my parents are doctors. You can even see which hospital my dad works at. I do not like this representation of myself at all. I don't think a firm would be able to take me seriously which I don't think is fair at all. It is crazy to me that the information that is out there for everyone to see is usually things you wouldn't want people seeing. Other than the donation my friend and I made at our 13th birthday party to a cancer charity, nothing that people can see about me shows any of my accomplishments or any of the good things I've done with my time. I am going to look into how to get some of this stuff off the internet immediately! This was very eye-opening.
1 comment:
Sam,
I find it interesting how much you were able to learn about yourself and how much you dislike your online image. I'm glad you were able to find out about your social media publicity and are able to set your settings as private before you start applying to jobs in the future. Luckily because of this assignment you now have the knowledge to prevent companies or other people from seeing things you want to keep private.
Post a Comment