Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!

Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!
Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!

Monday, October 20, 2014

Memex

I watched the YouTube video "Protocol 3-Memex" for this weeks online assignment. The Memex was thought of in 1945 as a device that could store loads of information and project it onto a screen to be used fast and effectively. It was thought of as a supplement to an individuals memory. Instead of trying to remember everything you've ever read or known, the Memex can be used to help you remember. The video I watched gave a visual representation of what was being described and a little bit of background on how it could be used. It was interesting to see the whole set up of the Memex and how back then that set up was considered extremely tiny to hold all of the information, but now we use technology much smaller to access more information than Bush probably imagined. The video ended with a side note about how Bush also was one of the lead thinkers in the Manhattan Project. I thought it was interesting that he was working on such an important technology, the atomic bomb, at the same time he was coming up with the idea of the Memex. It made me put into perspective how relatively little time he must of spent perfecting his idea of the Memex, and yet it was still a great idea and pretty accurate in comparing to what we use today for access to almost unlimited information. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj6ADC8ezxk

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jacob,

I found the video on YouTube to be extremely interesting especially when he talks about the atomic bomb which you describe in your blogpost. It is interesting that the same thinker that came up with the media explosion that we see today was also working on huge projects such as the Manhattan Project. Great find!

Alex C. said...

Jacob,

I really liked how your video was able to give a visual on how Bush thought the Memex would look. I found this helpful because throughout the readings I kept trying to visualize it and now I am able to put an image on the Memex.