For this week's assignment, I watched the video "Memex Animation- Vannevar Bush's Diagrams Made Real" on YouTube. The application was created in 1995, 50 years after Bush's "As We May Think" paper was published. I thought the beginning of the video was confusing and hard to follow. I understand that the Memex in general, is somewhat confusing considering its idea was created during a time when computers barely existed, let alone internet-- So I give Dynamic Diagrams credit for even attempting to turn the Memex into real life. For me, the most interesting part of the video was when they explained what each piece's purpose is. The screens were supposed to display the projected items, their codes, their trails, and allow for the direct entry of notes. The keyboard type figure was supposed to be used to enter the codes, project the heads of trails, and duplicate trails. The stylus or pen figure is used for recording notes directly onto the projected items. The microfilm library is accessed through the drawers.
I think it would've been useful to place these descriptions at the beginning of the video, this way the viewer knows what is going on while the example is happening. Once I viewed the entire video, I went back and watched it a second time in order to better grasp the material, and although the functions made more sense, the example was still unclear. I think an introduction would help the viewer understand the video a lot better!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c539cK58ees
No comments:
Post a Comment