Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!

Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!
Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Self Stalking

I could not believe how much information on me was out there.  I first went through all the websites and databases that were given to us.  It was very interesting to start from a broad view such as where I am from and the facts associated with it.  Once I found out facts about where I was from, I felt compelled to search other locations to put the facts into perspective.  I then started to narrow my searches to my name.  There were not too much surprises with the social media aspect.  My privacy settings are high on Facebook, so all the public can see is my profile picture and cover photo.  Even that though made me reconsider both photos because if only two photos are what the public has to judge you by, then you have to be very careful and mindful of what pictures you pick.  My LinkedIn also popped out, which I was not shocked about.  I was actually happy about it popping up because it is something that I want to get out there because it expands my professional network.  The only social media aspect of my search that I was surprised about was Vine.  I do not use Vine anymore, but my old videos popped up.  I completely forgot that those videos existed.  Most of the websites that came up from the search was from my lacrosse history from high school.  My high school was nationally ranked so we received a lot of media attention.  This led to my name in newspapers, forums, blogs, pictures, and other articles.  This was the bulk of the search results, and most of them I had seen before, so it was not too much of a shock to me.  Overall, I am satisfied with how the public would view me if they did a search.  It did make me rethink certain pictures, videos, etc.  This exercise is not only interesting, but very informative because it makes you step back and think about who you are and how people may view you.

2 comments:

Sam L. said...

Your last point is very interesting to me, Kyle. "What other people think of me" -- I hope that this is the reason interviews exist because I don't think it is fair to judge someone based on their google search. Thanks for sharing!

Michael B said...

Kyle,

It was interesting that you brought up finding things on social media that you don't even use anymore, like how you mentioned Vine. It definitely is not ideal that things you have completely forgot about can make themselves so relevant on a search.