Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!

Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!
Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!

Monday, October 27, 2014

Self-Stalking

I found the self-stalking account to be very eye-opening. Initially the first cites to pop open from google would be my Facebook, Pinterest and LinkedIn. If you go to the google images, there a pictures of my past profile pictures or pictures of myself that were in local newspapers such as The Odyssey. Through this google search you could find out that I played volleyball at my high school, Wheaton Warrenville South. There were many articles that depict stats of high school games, and even profiles of myself and different players on my team in the upcoming season. I also found that there were links to interviews I did about my sorority, Gamma Phi Beta, on our philanthropy event, Grilled Cheese With the G Phi B's. While there was also a link to a superlative article where I won "Most Likely to Start a Snowball Fight on Bascom Hill". Another thing I found interesting was that it showed my involvement in Badger's Best Buddies here on campus.

I also found a geodemographic marketing of my hometown through sites such as Whitepages, Fact Finder, and the New York Times Search. I found that my hometown is 91% White, and is mostly educated with 99% having a high school degree and 74% having a bachelors degree or higher, with a median age of 41.4 years old. One thing that I found surprising was that by typing your home phone number into WhitePages, it gives you exactly what town, and phone carrier your landline is using.

Overall, I think that this search really opened my eyes as to how the internet portrays individuals differently online then they would in real person. For example, while there are links to professional cites such as LinkedIn, it does not fully depict what I am interested in doing or certain life goals. I also do not think that it fully represents everything that I am involved with on campus, as it show no information of other clubs I am involved in rather than Badger Best Buddies. Overall, the search gives a little bit of what I have accomplished in the past but does not fully represent everything I am interested in or accomplishing right now.

No comments: