My name seems to be fairly common, just googling my name turns up a professional violinist, a doctor of medicine, a lawyer, and a professor from University of Waterloo, all fairly public professionals. That was sort of fortunate because it hid any results from me, I couldn't find any of my own information by the fifth page and gave up. Variations on my name turned up similar results.
Checking my phone number was a bit scary because the very first result was my number and correctly named my state and hometown, but the carrier information and date of acquisition were completely wrong, so I'm curious now as to how reliable information from those types of websites are. Still if only a handful of the information is accurate, it would be scary how much anyone could find out from my phone number alone.
In my social network analysis I was able to find pictures of myself on Myspace which was terrifying because I never had one. My friends had taken some pictures of me in middle school and I was able to find them by searching my name on Myspace directly, which was kind of scary, but they contain no identifying information about me now, so its not ideal but ok.
Overall, I was content with what I found. I wish my old photos weren't out there but other than embarrassing me I don't think anyone could use them to hurt me so it's ok. It would be interesting to see what would be out there if I had a less common name but I'm so buried under other people it's lucky.
No comments:
Post a Comment