Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!

Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!
Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!

Monday, October 20, 2014

For this week's homework assignment, I watched the YouTube video memex animation. I noticed that many other people in this discussion watched the same video. After reading the article "As we may think" by Bush in 1945, it was necessary for me to see some sort of video or picture to comprehend what the memex was. This animation was very informative because it helped me conceptualize what a memex would have looked like during that time period. I seems to be a very advanced concept and reminds me a lot of our modern day computer. The ability for the memex to store all of the different books and articles in terms of importance is a very useful tool to have. This is very similar to a computers ability to open different tabs on Safari, or have multiple applications open at the same time. I thought the video was very clear and concise; however, it would have been more beneficial to first explain what each part of the memex does, and then explain it's usage.

I re-watched the video to further understand the memex. Something that really stood out a second time was that the user could write and insert comments on the documents. This makes the device much more interactive and useful. I was still confused by the trail that they were talking about. That made no sense to me. I don't really know what it means to produce heads of trails and then duplicate the established trails. Over all, this video solidified my understanding of the memex. I am very impressed by this futuristic idea that Bush created.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c539cK58ees

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Kiki,

I really enjoyed your blog post especially when you mentioned how your chosen video helped conceptualize what a memex would have looked like during that time period. It is important to visualize the device because it helps illustrate a clear image of how it would operate. As time progresses, so do the inventions that have shaped our modern society from previous innovations.