Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!

Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!
Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!

Monday, December 1, 2014

Final Blog Post

             The hybrid or "blended" course structure of LIS 201 has been a learning experience for me. I have enjoyed all parts of the course, especially the online component. I think it is really interesting that some people barely speak in class yet have very good points and opinions in their blog posts. It gives these people that may be shy or quieter a better opportunity to participate and get their message across. I am currently taking a full online class at UW-Madison and each week we are required to take part in a discussion session online by posting responses to discussion questions. I have enjoyed blogging and commenting on the LIS material way more than trying to partake in a full-on discussion online.
            I think it is important for classes at UW to involve an online component because our generation is so technology based that we are always online anyway. I also think that it is even more important to also include a face-to-face or lecture/discussion if an online component is in place. The LIS discussions and lectures have reinforced everything we have learned; it has helped to be able to discuss our online blog posts with real people each week in discussion, ensuring that everyone is comfortable with and understanding the material.
          After taking this course, I am definitely more aware of all the technology and social media going on around me. Personally, I have enjoyed the second half of the course much more than the first probably because it is way more relevant to our lives. I have noticed how reliant my generation is on our phones and computers, and how this may or may not be a problem depending on who you ask. My friends and I started a game that whenever we go out to dinner together, the first person who looks at their phone has to buy everyone else dinner. It has helped us avoid absence in the present and engage in our conversations with full attention.

No comments: