When I searched hybrid courses, the
first thing to come up was a full description of “hybrid” or “blended” classes
by UW-Milwaukee. Although much of this information was interesting to read, I
was actually quite familiar with the terms from taking a similar class in the
past. Basically, “Hybrid” classes combine face-to-face interactions coupled
with online assignments to enhance the overall learning experience for the
student. This distinct learning style is extremely beneficial to helping a
student’s verbal communication in class while adapting to the technology of
today. Unlike traditional courses, Hybrid classes retain the value of in-person
contact with the instructor and the incorporation of the Internet to complete
assignments. This description almost accurately depicts the learning structure
of LIS 201 and the other hybrid course I have taken.
My first semester on campus as a
sophomore, I took a class specifically designed for transfer students. Not only
was this class a nice break in my schedule, but also it helped ease the
transition between schools, especially knowing that full classes of students
were in my same situation. From campus tours to student’s personal transfer
stories I instantly realized that the whole class was sharing this special
experience together. The class itself was quite similar to LIS 201 because it
incorporates in class discussion, online assignments, lectures, and even an
ignite presentation at the end of the semester. Additionally, this class helped
me become comfortable with my current situation with the full support system
immediately provided upon taking this class. Similar to the course now, I
personally perform better in this learning environment because it incorporates
so many aspects of learning. By taking a class such as this one, although it
may be more work I personally find it easier to perform well because I am
especially interested to read and discuss the week’s readings.
Furthermore, I thought this course
did a great job of connecting the online portions to the in-person portions. By
connecting the two it helped gain a greater understanding for the weekly topics
at hand by discussing our findings with our peers. I personally felt that I was
a more effective student in the physical world rather than the virtual because
although you can research topics at home, I still strongly support the physical
world. During times where technology is changing many aspects of daily life, I
find it especially important to retain traditional face-to-face interactions,
which foster healthy means of communication. I felt it was easier to learn
about classmate’s true opinions from offline, face-to-face interactions. Every
student has a specific edge or personality trait when it comes to in class
discussions and I felt this is ultimately be expressed best in class.
Before this course I was pretty
familiar with blogs, but have never used a Wiki before. The Wiki was in
interesting integration to the structure of the class, but felt it to be useful
especially when accessing other student’s work quickly and efficiently. I think
UW instructors should absolutely increase their use of online components in
courses because as the times of education are changing to do the learning
techniques. In an age when most of our learning comes from online resources I
think it is essential to familiarize every student with certain components of
the Internet to help them adapt to the changing culture. School is basically
preparing you for the real world, so it is vital for every student to become
informed with how to adapt with our surroundings.
Looking back on the semester the
course lectures and the readings definitely brought a better perspective to my
own online experience. More directly focusing on the course, the materials contributed
greatly to the online experience. The online course component specifically
plays a large role due to the structure of the class surrounding the online
world of information. By learning about the material in lecture and discussion,
the online component facilitates one’s knowledge when using what you’ve learned
in action. When one is able to learn by listening and learn by doing is when
one gains the most from an activity.
1 comment:
Michael,
Very insightful post. I found it pretty awesome that UW offers classes designed to help transfer students and I hope that transition helped make your transfer easier than you originally expected. I also agree with your point about using the wiki. I also have never used a wiki before but definitely see the benefits of being able to share your material and have easy feedback from peer reviews.
Post a Comment