When I searched "hybrid/blended classes" on
Google, the first link to appear was from UW-Milwaukee. These classes were very
similar to our LIS class. Their main point of differentiation was that the Milwaukee courses used
online interaction to replace a portion
of their classroom face-to-face time, whereas our online work is in addition to
our time spent in lecture and discussion.
In terms of my experience with this course, I feel that our
online portions connected to our discussions in our discussion sections,
however I sometimes struggled to find the connection between our online
portions and some of the articles we read. I do believe that the online
portions did help me to become better acquainted with my classmates though
because I was able to learn more about them through their writing about
themselves. That is because many of the assigned blog posts required more
in-depth responses than would be covered in a typical conversation in the short
time spent together during discussion section. I am also more confident in my
ability to use blogs and wikis--I just recently used blogger to create a final
project for another one of my classes this semester.
The course lectures and readings were helpful to my
understanding of the information society, however some readings were more
relevant I felt, and more helpful, than others. Overall, I enjoyed both our
online activities and our classroom time spent together. Although, I believe
that in some scenarios the in person time is more beneficial than virtual time
because the internet cannot successfully replicate the atmosphere of our
discussion sections.
1 comment:
Carly,
Nice post! I found similar results regarding the hybrid/blended courses similar to LIS 201. I also found it difficult sometimes to find the connection between the online assignments and the articles we read. I also agree that some of the readings were more helpful than others. I’d be interested to see how the similarities and differences in the course the next time it is taught.
Post a Comment