Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!

Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!
Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Hybrid Course

I have actually taken a hybrid class before at UW-Madison.  It was a finance class that for the most part was online, but it had some in-class sessions at times.  I really enjoyed that class, as I really enjoyed this class.  Hybrid courses, in my opinion, work well with my generation.  Having things online makes life more organized because you always know where to look and you always know what is due and where it is due.  Other than organization, the hybrid course allows for more responsibility to fall on the student.  Showing up to class is not enough in a hybrid class.  Most of the grunt work comes on the online portion, and that takes more discipline and responsibility to know to go online and present an active voice.  Personally, I am always checking my classes' course pages to stay on top of my work, but for people who do not work like that, I can see a hybrid class being a harder time for them.

I saw many connections to the lectures and readings to the overall process of LIS 201 being an online class.  Many of the readings had to do with information technologies, its history, and the evolving dependence on technology.  The very fact that we are relying on computers, blogs, and internet to fuel our classroom discussion and learning experience speaks directly to and supports many of these articles.  The helpful part of the hybrid course is that Professor Downey was able to explain and justify the use of the course in relation to the readings.  The readings provide insight on how trends are starting to go in the information society.  One of the main lessons I got from this class was that: even though society is becoming more reliant on technology, there are positive and negative ways to drive that reliance, and the hybrid LIS class can be classified as a huge positive.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I completely agree with what you said about one of the main lessons being that even though society is becoming more reliant on technology, there are positive and negative ways to drive that reliance. Before this class, I was only thinking about the negative aspects associated with technology taking over, but this class made me more knowledgeable about this subject in general.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alex C. said...

I definitely agree with your point that hybrid classes work well with our generation. Our generation is so technologically-oriented that I could see our generation cause there to be a huge increase in the number of hybrid courses throughout all universities in the country, if not the whole world.