Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!

Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!
Last Day of Discussion Section! Yay!

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Hello and welcome to LIS 201 Discussion Section 306!

Hello and welcome to LIS 201 Discussion Section 306!  

Our discussion section will officially begin on Thursday, September 4th at 1:00pm in the Mosse Humanities Building, Room 2101.

Meanwhile, feel free to familiarize yourself with the LIS 201 course website. To get there, click on the "LIS 201 course web site and syllabus” (see right margin). This will open a new page in your browser that contains the class website.

To get us started this semester, I thought it would be nice for us to share a little bit about ourselves. I will set an example by going first. I am a doctoral candidate in the School of Library and Information Studies program, focusing on consumer health, health literacy, and health disparities. I have written numerous articles in the Journal of Consumer Health on the Internet including: co-authoring a chapter on consumer health information for Decisions for Health, Level Blue (Holt, Rinehart & Winston, 2004), edited two issues of Library Trends on consumer health information, and co-authored an article about my doctoral experience in the 2009 issue of Journal of Hospital Librarianship. When I am not reading and writing scholarly articles you can find me hanging out at the annual Sun Prairie Sweet Corn Festival! Hands down, probably one of the best festivals in Wisconsin!  


This summer I spent time with my sorority sisters of the Madison Alumnae Chapter, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. volunteering at the Boys and Girls Club Bike Ride (can you pick out Gubernatorial Candidate Mary Burke?)
 

Your first assignment is to introduce yourself to the class via the blog! Please create your own post. If you need further instruction on how to create a post, please visit the Weblog tutorial page.

Feel free to post a picture of yourself or your favorite pet. Write about your hobbies, your family and friends. Describe your interests and goals. Share one life-changing experience. Describe your experience as a writer. What was the last writing-intensive course you took and what are your specific goals for this course? When you are all done, please leave a comment on a fellow student's introduction post. Please complete this online assignment by Tuesday, September 9th by 11:59PM.

There's a lot of excitement ahead of us, including new articles and books to read, new friends to meet and new skills to master...and I look forward to you sharing in those exciting times. Together we are going to have an awesome semester.

See you soon!

Tammy Mays
TA
LIS 201

No comments: